Saturday, January 14, 2012

{ Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare }



Dec 6, 2011 by Margaret K McElderry Books


Format: Hard Cover


Source: My Bookshelf!






From Goodreads:




In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.




With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.




Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?




As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.






My Review:




First off...Cassandra Clare. Are you trying to kill me? Seriously? OMG!




Looking back at my review for Clockwork Angel, I whole heartily believe that I overrated it. Clockwork Prince totally blew Clockwork Angel out of the water! As I have said before, Cassandra Clare speaks to my soul. I cannot fully explain it, but she truly is a cure for what ails me. Cassandra Clare has a knack for creating incredible characters. Whether they are characters that we love or love to hate. Every single one of these characters are embedded into my soul. I love them all!




Tessa has grown so much since the first book. I felt much more connected to her and truly caring for her on every level. She is a very intelligent young woman, funny,strong and learning about herself and the world around her. What more could you ask for. Jem is still very much, Jem. We all love him. He is that sensitive, caring, just all around great guy. While I love Jem, just like the next person, I don't LOVE Jem. My...okay, Tessa's... heart belongs to Will. Will...my Will. Okay, yes, I have a bit of a book crush on Will. Will...as with Jace from the Mortal Instrument Series...is strong, snarky, hilarious, loyal and just downright hot! Okay, okay. I know he is only 17, but somehow this book felt so much more sophisticated than Clockwork Angel. At times I really forgot that these were teenagers. I felt so connected to these three and their lives...again Cassandra Clare is a master!




Once again this book also confirmed my ever growing love of Magnus Bane. He is such a great character. There are many dimensions to Magnus and I know there are more to come. He is one of those characters that I would love to meet in real life...okay, I know he only lives between the pages of a book, but seriously, would he not be a blast to hang out with?! The things that spew from that mans mouth!




A great moment for me, was seeing the relationship building between Charlotte and Henry. These two are just so cute. For those that have read Clockwork Angel, I know you are thinking...'what are you talking about?'...but, Cassandra Clare had me in tears. You have to read it to understand.




I could go on and on about each of these characters. I am truly a lover of Character driven books. I know that many reviewers have complained that the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices are one in the same. 'There is absolutely no difference in the plots of these two series'. 'The characters are the same.' Well, okay. You may have a point... to a degree. This series takes place before The Mortal Instruments. This is the story of how it all began, so yes, of course it will be similar. As far as the characters? Okay, sure. I can see similarities. So what? I still adore them all. If I had, but one complaint. It would be the whole love triangle thing. It can be a bit exhausting and quite frustrating at times. But would I change it? No. It is what it is and I love every moment of this book.




In the end, would I recommend this book/series? Yes, oh yes, oh yes. If you love character driven stories? If you enjoy your share of snarkiness and sharp witted characters? If you love adventure and a bit of magic thrown in for good measure? If you are a fan of Victorian era, Steampunk romance? You will adore this series. If you have read Clockwork Angel and feel the series is not really worth continuing? Please... give it another shot.




And Cassandra Clare? You will be the death of me. You know that, right?




Rating: 5+ stars!

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I know what you mean about Magnus. He can say all the things the rest of us want to, but do not dare! And I'm sorry, Tracy, but Will is just too much like Jace. And while I adore Jem, my heart will always belong to Simon.
    (Although Magnus and Alex as a couple continue to delight me...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book and it's going to be terrible having to wait until the next one. So far I'm liking Tessa with Jem, but that can always change in upcoming books.. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete