Thursday, June 23, 2011

{ The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker }


The Liar Society by Lisa & Laura Roecker
March 1, 2011 by Sourcebooks, Incorporated
Format: ebook
Source: Library



From Goodreads:



Best friends don't send emails once their dead. Kate Lowry may wear fake pearls and shorts so tiny that Nancy Drew would blush, but she's on the trail to prove that Grace's death was no accident. Along for the ride are a couple of knights in (not so) shining armor: the dangerously attractive bad boy, Liam, and her love-struck neighbor, Seth. Together they discover a secret lurking in the halls of their elite private school that threatens to destroy them all.



My review:



We have all heard the phrase, 'Don't judge a book by it's cover', right? I must admit that too often I am a bit of a cover snob. You know. I see a cover and think, this is gonna be an awesome read, or, this one looks terrible. Well, that's how I felt about this one. When it first came out and I was seeing it EVERYWHERE in blog land, I thought it looked like something my 9 year old would want to read. I never paid too much attention. Then I started reading really good reviews. This week I was looking at books on my Library ebook list and found it sitting there, waiting for me. So I caved and decided to give it a read. You know what? I was pleasantly surprised. I actually quite enjoyed this one.



The main character Kate was funny, intelligent and very likable. I found myself connecting with her almost instantly. I absolutely loved Seth, Kate's next door neighbor. I have read some reviews that complained about him and thought he was kind of pointless. I disagree totally. Seth is this nerdy, conspiracy theory obsessed, Kate obsessed adorable kid! I loved, loved, loved, Seth. The budding romance between Kate and Liam was perfect. It was not over done, subtle and very sweet. Anything more would have been a let down and a distraction from the main story. The mystery throughout the book was very enjoyable and the pacing was perfect. I never found the story slow or drawn out at any point. It was a fun page turner.



In the end? I found The Liar Society to be a fun, light read with a very enjoyable main character. If you are looking for a light mystery, I would definitely recommend this one!



Rating: 4 stars!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a cover snob too. Good that you gave this one a chance anyway. It does sound super fun!

    ReplyDelete