Thursday, June 2, 2011

{ I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore }




I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore


Aug 3, 2010 by HarperCollins


Format: ebook


Source: Library






From Goodreads:



Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books - but we are real.



Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing.



But they know.



They caught Number One in Malaysia.


Number two in England.


And Number Three in Kenya.


They killed them all.



I am number Four.



I am next.



My Review:




When word of this book first started floating around. I was excited to read it. Then I began to hear little tid bits about the controversy surrounding it. I am not going to go into a long winded tangent. If you don't know what I am referring to and want more info you can read about it HERE.



I had put the book out of my mind and then started seeing all the movie previews. I always read the book before seeing the movie and since Alex Pettyfer was the star? Well, I knew I HAD to see the movie. Thus, I decided to give the book a read.



I admit, the first 50 pages had me really questioning my decision. I found the writing to be very disjointed and the story very slow. Thankfully the story kicked in for me soon after. However, it felt as though two different authors were at the helm. I had that feeling a few times throughout the book. I really started to enjoy it and felt connected to it an then it all came to a halt once again. The last 100 pages really came together though.



The two main characters, John - Number Four - and Henri - John's Keeper - were great together. I really enjoyed watching their relationship grow and blossom into this amazing pseudo father/son connection. One of the best aspects of this story for me was when John's legacy's started to show and the anticipation of more to follow. The prospect of becoming flame retardant, being able to become invisible, as well as the things you touch - John's Grandfather had this ability - and being able to communicate with animals. How cool would that be?



Aside from John and Henri? One of my favorite characters was, Sam, John's best friend. Sam is this alien conspiracy theory obsessed geek. But aside from that, he is loyal, funny and brave when he truly needs to be. I can not wait to see where this character goes from here into the next book.



The best character of this book though? Bernie Kosar. The Beagle. I adore books with dogs, but being a Beagle owner myself? I fell in love. I knew the instant Bernie was introduced that there HAD to be something special about him. I was not disappointed!



In the end? Thanks to the last 100 pages being filled with great characters, an interesting story and non-stop action, I look forward to the next installment. And of course, I must now see the movie. Alex Pettyfer awaits!



Rating: 3.5 stars



Favorite quote/scene:




Sam runs into his room and comes out with a backpack. He sets it on the kitchen counter and goes to change his clothes. I peer inside of it. There is a crucifix, a few cloves of garlic, a wooden stake, a hammer, a blob of Silly Putty, and a pocketknife.



"You do realize these people aren't vampires, right?" I say when Sam walks back in.



"Yeah, but you never know. They're probably crazy, like you said."



"And even if we were hunting vampires, what the hell is the Silly Putty for?"



He shrugs. "Just want to be prepared."



Book Trailer:






Movie trailer:


2 comments:

  1. Well balanced review! I worry that if I were to read this book, my feelings toward it would be biased because of the controversy, so I'm impressed that you were largely able to look past it and enjoy it even still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your review. I've been curious about this book but with all the controversy and such it hasn't made it to my TBR pile. I do want to watch the movie though. Maybe one day I'll get to it. :D

    ReplyDelete